This gathered skirt you can make in all sizes, from baby to XXL adult size. The elastic waistband makes the skirt forgivable if you gain or lose a few pounds.
This is a beginners project that takes up to 1 hour to make and only 30 minutes when you are more experienced.
For the tutorial in inches click here
For this project I used a rather thin cotton cloth with a soft feel (read more about fabric).
The choice of yarn is important for this skirt because it will be quite visible. You can go for the same color, which is always a safe choice, or you can choose a contrasting color for a nice accent.
I made the waist band using a 2.5 cm wide elastic (I bought mine HERE).For the length of the elastic you do it around your waist, tight enough so the skirt will stay up, but loose enough to be comfortable, add 2 cm extra to stitch the ends together.
Let’s get started
- Prewash and iron your fabric (Why prewash your fabric?)
- Cut a rectangle out of your fabric. The width influences the gathered look of your skirt. When I make this gathered skirt I take double the waist measurement. The length of the rectangle is the length of your skirt + 2 cm for the lower hem and + 4 cm for the waistband.
- Fold the rectangle in half, right sides together, and sew the edge.
- Iron the seam, this will give your work a more professional look.
- On the bottom site of the skirt: Fold over 1 cm and again fold over 1 cm.
- Iron the hem and sew. Use a straight stitch.
- Now make the waistband by folding over 1 cm and then 3 cm.
- Iron and sew, using a straight stitch, but leave 5 cm not sewn.
- Guide the elastic through the opening and around the skirt. Use a safety pin to do this.
- Sew together the two ends of the elastic with 2 cm overlap.
- Close the opening.
- Distribute the fabric evenly around the elastic. Your gathered skirt is finished!