In this tutorial we will make a fabric cover for a cardboard box. Easy made storage space that adds something extra to the room. Go for colorful fabric to sheer up the place or go for sober prints to fit in a stylish and classy interior. The cover can be removed and washed when necessary.
A cardboard box
Cotton fabric: 2 types, one for the outside of the box and a uni-color cotton cloth for the inside.
Yarn: this won’t be visible.
Let’s get started
- Prewash and iron and fabric. This is only necessary if you want your fabric cover to be washable. If you don’t prewash your fabric, your cover will shrink when you first wash it and not fit the box anymore.
- Cut the flaps of the cardboard box. This will be used as bottom piece for the inside.
- Glue them together as shown in the picture. I used a glue gun but wide tape works also fine.
Sew the fabric cover
- Measure your box. Important measurements are the circumference and height of the box, and the length and width of the ground surface.
- Cut the fabric for the outside. Fabric width = box circumference + 1 cm (1/2 inch). Fabric height = height of the box + 1 cm (1/2 inch)
- Cut the fabric for the inside. Fabric width = box circumference + 1 cm (1/2 inch). Fabric height = height of the box + 10 cm (4 inches). The extra height is for the fold over part and to cover a part of the bottom of the box.
- Sew the two pieces of fabric together along the width (the long side). If you use a print for the outside, be careful with the orientation of the fabric. The upper side if the fabric is sewn together to the other piece of fabric.
- Fold the fabric in half as shown in the picture (right sides together) and sew.
- Cut fabric for the bottom of the cover. Use the fabric that you used for the outside. Width of the fabric = width of the bottom of the box + 1 cm (1/2 inch). Length of the fabric = length of the bottom of the box + 1cm (1/2 inch).
- Pin the bottom to the fabric for the sides you just made. Start to pin a corner of the bottom piece together with the seam. Then pin the sides of the rectangle as you go.
- Sew the bottom to the sides.
- Cover the box.
- Fold over some fabric for a nice upper edge.
The inlay bottom piece
- Cut a piece of fabric, use the fabric that you used for the inside. Fabric width = 2 * the width of the bottom piece + 8 cm (3 inches). Fabric length = length of the bottom piece + 1 cm (1/2 inch).
- Fold the fabric in half (right sides together) and sew together both sides as shown on the picture.
- Turn inside out and pull it over the the cardboard bottom piece.
- Fold over the excess fabric. You can tape this if you want.
- Place the inlay bottom in your covered box.